Monday 26 January 2009

Introduction: This is where it all started




Trackdays: Does this story sound familiar to you? Me, I started doing them c8 years ago. I've owned several "steeds", from a high-powered Audi (stylist) Evo (meathead) to a VXR220 turbo (which ntroduced me to the benefits of "lightness". Each car has respectively hoovered up my my quarterly bonus (with some disdain) since the millennium; new turbo’s, chargecoolers, intercoolers, remaps, brakes, dampers and endless amounts of tyres and brake pads.....the list is endless for all of us I would expect.


And what do I have to show for it? Well, some great memories of course, from european trips to circuits such as Spa and the Nurburgring, to mainland UK skirmishes at the usual suspects like Cadwell and Silverstone; aside from that, just a few CD's with pictures on of me "going fast". I've found that none of my friends are interested in these pictures (strangely enough) and especially not my wife.


So what next? Keep trying to go faster?

Nope, not for me. Need a different return for my hard-earned cash. It’s time to go racing! This is my story of buying a donor car, building it and prepping it for racing, and all of the excitement, anxiety (frankly I am already bricking myself just typing this introduction), and hopefully reward that comes with my first year in motorsport.


4th January 2009: Getting on the grid seems a long long way away. Here’s what’s happened so far:

What series have I chosen?

The UK Elise Trophy. For a number of reasons: It’s a very well run. There are x2 classes of car: Modified (up to 250bhp at the hubs) and “Production” I’ll be racing in the Production series. The cars are allowed medications such as adjustable suspension but brakes, exhausts and other items are regulated. The engine cannot exceed 151bhp at the hubs (c170bhp at the flywheel) and the minimum weight of the car is 740 KG’s (825KG min weight including driver). 170bhp doesn’t sound much but that works out at 229bhp per tonne. That’s more than an STi Impreza, so whilst it’s the slowest class on the grid, we’ll not exactly be hanging about. Grids are swollen: typically 35-40 cars every race and the series is televised on Motors TV. The second reason is the value proposition of each race meet – i hold no interest in turning up at a random series and not knowing anybody. Part of racing is all about choosing your competitors: go racing in the Clio Trophy for example, and you’ll be trading paint with Jason Plato-wannabe’s on massive budgets. If they write off your car in a “racing incident” then you have to foot the bill. Whilst this is obviously a risk in any form of motorsport, the production class of the Elise Trophy is largely made up drivers who want to see their car in one piece at the end of the race: overtaking is assertive but not aggressive. Also, I’ve done trackdays with the Lotus-on-Track club for the last 3 years – many of the drivers on the grid have progressed from trackdays to racing – so there is an element of value from being part of a similar community, if in the least having a beer after the race!


What have I done so far?

a) ARDS test: secured at a very VERY slippery and cold Silverstone in early December. Only 13 of the x20 attendees actually passed – and there was me (foolishly) thinking it would be relatively easy.

b) Applied and received my MSA Motorsport licence (Novice Competition “B” licence). To progress to “A” you need x6 race finishes under your belt, and then you can go racing in Europe.

c) Registered for the 2009 Elise Trophy here:


d) Sold my present car (VX 220) hopefully the deal gets done in the next 7 days so I can go hunting for the race donor car: ideally this will be an Elise 111s. The 111s is the favoured option as it has a closer ratio gearbox and whilst the VVC engine is a little trickier to tune, it’s a great starting point at 143bhp. So....that’s it for now. I’ll post my next entry as soon as the car is sold and I have the donor car (and of course pics to follow)






No comments:

Post a Comment