Saturday 22 May 2010

(Sorry it's late) Silverstone Round #10 2009 Elise Trophy: My first-ever race weekend: view from Car #56

OK OK i'm sorry this is late (as in 7 months late). I started this whole blogging thing to share what is the unique experience of going acing for the first time and ended up with an epic FAIL. So here's my pledge: all future major updates to the car and race reports will go up here. I promise ;0p

Silverstone Round #10: My first-ever race weekend: view from Car #56

Race #1 Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfJ5cOhLYw

Race #1 Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd64VJXSD0k


Race 2 part 1 & 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZPUTsGDdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRISts0e5Eo

Race 3, Part 1 & 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2YdF953YM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqAgKVdXO6k

OK so here’s the review of my first ever race-weekend. Being new to this malarky please excuse me for not coming up with a 1-paragraph review full of side-splittingly sarcastic repartee about my antics I’ve spent 12 hard months getting to the grid and I guess like nearly everyone else on the grid I’ve had no end of problems with the car, so much so the longest it’s lasted without breaking this year has been 6 laps on an evening trackday in August ! Never driven in the wet either (excuse #1) It was an ambition of mine to race and I’m just so elated to have completed my first race weekend.
Before I go further i need to extend huge, un-repayable gratitude to Rob Beves and Ben Pitch (and respective wives) for helping me out through the weekend. I really did not know what was involved about getting a car ready – and keeping it prepped between races – until yesterday. Boys – I’ll spanner for you any time.

Pre-race

Arrived @circuit c7am to get in the queue early for more rubber. There seemed so much to do: fuel, car up on the axle stands, wheels off, overalls ready for scrutineering, drink fluids. Just so glad car was in garage overnight! 15 minutes before qually and the tyres still haven’t come back and Ben discovered a knackered M8 bolt securing the top-end of the NSR Nitron damper. Thanks to Hoffmann’s for replenishing the bolt. Normally at this point I’d have been cacking it about not getting out but, the tipping-point passed and I just thought if i don’t make it out for qually, starting @the back of the grid would be fun. In the end I was out in ample time due to some awesome pit-work from the Pitch-Beves pairing with the words of “just beat Humphrey” ringing in my ears off i went. New tyres, greasy circuit, first time out in qually: yes please. Loved the greasy lines and knew i’d banked a decnt lap one-from-the end despite having to lift for waved yellows @Copse.
Back into pits and pleased to hear i’d quallied 20th from 37(?)

Race 1: Qualy 20th, finished 14th

Green flag: practice start (cack) check out the greasy spots (pretty much everywhere),
brakes> tyres> grid> Hans ahead of me: check....David Alexander to my right: Check. Trundle up to grid slot:1st gear: check. WHAT? Be banished ye random-thought scoundrels and take your devious flummery elsewhere!

Red lights.....revs.....GO! Not enough revs....NOT GO! *only* one-down by Copse > into Maggots...uh-oh what's this? Oh....a car is flying up into the air (poor old Andrew Napier i think - who i was sharing a garage with) avoid_avoid_avoid...Treasure up the inside on the grass....blocked by all-and-sundry (novice mistake #1)...Kell on inside...make a *little room*...round the outside @Island, Kell has a moment> lift> more cars past...6 places down WHO CARES I AM RACING...yes i am actually doing this!

Right settle down dude....if you out-quallied-them you'll *likely* be able to catch them Catch #67 Kell.....dice for a few laps and register my virgin overtaking account by sticking it up the inside at Bridge...Dad would be proud. Push>push>push....concentrate... Catch, catch catch car ahead...who is it? #41 Kirkbride. Looks like there an opportunity through Bridge_Priory_Luffield. But....oh..good run out of Island...down the outside into Abbey....yes? ...Yes! I'm through! Am I? ....NO!
Hans is in the gravel...did i see yellows? Not sure...Wave Kirkbride back-through on exit of Abbey just in-case (novice mistake #2) Go go go go...go? what? 3rd gear? 2k revs? Bogged-down.....go go go.....What's this? Hans is out of the gravel and up my arse on the run out of Abbey. Defend, defend, defend into Bridge>Priory>Luffield. Catch Kirkbride again....where can i get by? CAN i get by? Mmmm priory/Luffield I think....
Having been foolhardy and promised team #56 i'd take the Heidfeld line round Luffield.....why not try it whilst the track is still like baby-oil? 2nd overtake: done.
Push push push...few more fun bits. Lap Jake Humphrey on the final lap and then an entirely unexpected involuntary ejaculation of emotion over the finish line , wave to marshalls effusively. race #1: done (I’m never taking the pi55 out of Lewis Hamilton for whooping on the radio ever. Again. Period).
Wife-and-kids-and friends envelope pit-garage and get hugs from sweaty race-novice. Super-pleased with 14th given the quality on the grid. Review classification and am reminded just how much more talent i need when looking @ top 10’s lap times. Someone said to me Donnelly was *only 2.9 seconds* faster but that didn’t make me feel much better. Looking back, I enjoyed the slippery-er conditions more than the dry...building up through Bridge and Copse whilst it was greasy during race conditions was just....uniquely fun. Mr Golding; please please please can we race there again?

Race #2: Finished 14th (in class)

A Ben Pitch-inspired camber change on the rear of the car transformed the handling in race #2. A very kind scrutineer told me to raise the ride-height by 1mm so that all done and full of confidence after keeping #56's nose clean in race #1, here I am on the grid: Kirbride to my left: check. Cliff Fox (modified) ahead: check. Red lights: Go! Good start: past Cliff Fox...YES!
....2nd gear where are you? Whilst simultaneously registering the unique sound of a Rover VVC engine hitting 8,500 RPM out-of-gear i glance in the mirror to see poor old Matt Bartlett nearly rear-ending me. Not finished yet though with my stupendous display of gear-changing wizardry.....3rd gear where are you? Damn you devious quickshifter weasels! Ayres, Kell, Treasure, Price, Bartlett all past by Copse uuuurgh. Then more on the run to Maggotts. x8 places down FFS this is Minardi-safety-car-esque descending of the order!

Find myself in the battle between Noble, Vitthal, Kell, Bartlett...some sort of James Bond tactics from Noble through Bridge_i_hope_it's_not_oil_else_we'll end up in Warwickshire but kept the foot-in anyway. #33 past @Priory, big tangle @Brooklands: x3 places back. Chasing Vitthal and Kell I run wide @Copse Gary Broad gets past with his arse hanging off (presumably from earlier contact with #??) ...COME ON FFS get a grip.
Faster than Vitthal but not a 'kin chance on the straights.
Maggotts: oil/coolant WTF...oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit...correct./..oppo oppo.....kink...stay left for braking...oh FFS more oil/coolant......shiiiiiiiit.
Keep battling, up and through some dude into Priory (i love that corner), Kell, Vitthal, Bartlett now out of sight. Closed them down in under a lap as they were slowing each other up and having a group-hug into Abbey. Nearly did Vitthal into Priory and Luffield until that pesky Honda power saw him off into the distance again. Push push push catch Kelll and Bartlett again who are fighting into Abbey...an opportunity I spy....wide entry, cut back...yes I’ll ‘ave him only for Kell to miss a gear on the exit – we are both buried into the exit kerb - no option but to get out of it completely and watch another Silver S1 (not sure who) sail by on the run up to Bridge. Finished up behind Andrew. That’s racing! Pleased to make it back in one piece again.

Race 3: Finished 25th

After about 93 cups of tea with the family-and friends like the rest managed to muster some adrenaline for race #3. Must confess at this point my overriding mindset was to bring this little shed home in one piece given the amount of cash spunked on the thing through the year.
After another shocking start and daisy-esque entry to copse, find myself fighting with Bartlett and Ayres. More diversion tactics from Noble through Bridge. Next lap, Cliff Fox gets through on the run up from Abbey to Bridge under acceleration (I’ll have you back).
I end up having an amusing battle with Nigel, ending in me doing him up the inside into Brooklands. Sensible driving from the both of us – he gave me *just* enough room as you can see on the vid.
Next - catch and pass the black-and-orange S2 (Livesy?) in under a lap: up the inside into Priory. Not that it was intentionally there but as i found out later, the entire family + friends were watching @the BRDC stand and after cursing me for being such a girl on the opening laps at least there was some entertainment watching me re-pass a couple of folk (or so i told myself).
The only other highlight of the race was catching Mr Fox. I could make super-time into Island...then watching him disappear until I caught through Bridge and Priory. Finally he missed a cog exiting Island and i was past on the last lap.
Super elated coming into the pits – given some of the damage on the day i can’t hide relief i brought it home in one piece. Noble, Deacon, Malt, Kell were all @Abbey at this point. I’d have loved another lap or 2 to join that battle but not to be. My fault for getting stuck earlier in the race!

Looking back, x4 1min 39 laps at the end of the race give me encouragement if i can improve my starts i can hold my own in the midfield – which is where i quallied after-all!

Summary and thank you’s

Well I met quite a few folk this weekend: some for the first time, some for the second/third time: Peter Trott, Matt Bartlett, Hans, Gary Broad (top bloke), Adam Bewsey (another novice), Pat McBennett (also sharing a garage – well done mate!). Marcus Jewell, Greg Noble, Steve Williams, Nigel Ayres, Martin Roberts, Ken Savage (thanks for letting me use your garage on Friday).

Probably speaks volumes that despite fighting near the back of the grid I just had an EPIC weekend and i’m absolutely hooked. Paul and your crew: you have the formula for this series absolutely on-the-nose and i just cannot wait to get cracking again next year.

Ben, Rob: thank you so much for helping me this weekend. It simply would not have been possible without you. I owe you big-time!

No comments:

Post a Comment